Part Two of the Mars Journey:
Mars makes a station at 23 degrees of Virgo on January 23rd. This will be a sensitive point until at least the end of June. The actual station of Mars retrograde is always a call to the hero within to make the descent into the underworld, face the monster, claim the power and return. The journey is unique to each of us. This second phase of the Mars retrograde lasts until March 3rd when it will oppose the Sun. Mars has been visible more or less in the night sky since September and will remain so until August but it is at it’s brightest and most noticeable near the opposition because as the Sun sets, Mars rises and is illuminated by the Sun’s rays. It’s red and you can’t miss it if you look up and around after dark.
What it means for you specifically I cannot say here because it depends on where it is in your chart and what planets it might be aspecting (for a workshop on this topic click here) but here are some signposts when descending into the power realms of Mars:
1. Pay attention to the little things that bother you, that trigger you, that get you razzed.
2. Make a committment to respond to these things rather than react to them. Act strategically when you can.
3. Given that Mars is in Virgo look for little things that make your life work or not. There is power in the small stuff. We all know we are not meant to sweat it but we are often challenged as to how that might be accomplished. A bad nights sleep, a little bit of food poisening, the wrong time or address; these things can really make us miserable in the moment. Responding rather than reacting can teach us a lot about who we really are and how we muddy the waters of our lives over small things.
4. Pay attention to the things you say ‘NO!’ to. When Mars is strong it often looks to the outside observer like a terrible two attack.
5. Be really clear about your motives for doing what you do.
6. The manifest world in which we experience our waking consciousness is alive and sacred. It is the stage on which we come to awareness or not. Mars Retrograde in Virgo suggests a good time for a breakthrough regarding mindfulness.
These are all simple things and we can always benefit from them. The difference, if you feel it, during a Mars retrograde is that every little thing can teach you something about how and why you do what you do. This wisdom is the power object that must be wrested from the monster of our ignorance.
Part One: Mars in the Shadow of the Retrograde:
(This was the first post on this topic)
Mars entered the sign of Virgo on the 10th of November and is officially in the shadow of it’s retrograde motion which will begin on January 23rd and last until April 14th. It will take until July for Mars to leave this sign.
Mars is the warrior and will be in Virgo (for many months to come). Possibly the issue for you (for everyone at the moment) is boundaries. My theory is that the Bitch Goddess appears when we need space. She is an aspect of the sign Virgo. (She can express herself through men as well as women.) Thousands of years of captivity (of the feminine side of life) keep her from saying what she needs outright. Sometimes she doesn’t even know what she needs. When she’s aggravated it can seem that she just doesn’t like people. Maybe she just doesn’t like herself or maybe she just needs some space. Mars, the warrior, says it’s time to deal with these issues.
Another way to look at the Mars Retrograde phenomenon is that it is about the little things. Virgo is the sign of the little things like food, health care and employment. Things that make our lives work (or not). Mars in Virgo is likely an indication that the Occupiers will morph into the next phase of their journey. Truly they are about all the little things I just mentioned.
In any case it is a good time, between now and January 23rd to look at these issues in your own life. How are you feeling about boundaries and how well are you doing with diet, exercise, work and most importantly, a sense of the sacred regarding these things. Are you at one or two with nature? This might refer to your own nature as well as Nature in general. They are really one and the same.
More to come in January!